Thursday, August 9, 2012

Intervals

I have recently been turned on to running intervals.  In the past I have thought the best way to run was long and slow but that is just not the case. Intervals are a great way to change up your routine and train your body to run faster and harder.  They are tough but they get GREAT results. Also, intervals can be completed on a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike or outside. If you plan on doing this type of workout outdoors, I highly suggest investing in a good sports watch that you can program.  It is tough to watch your phone or small watch screen when you are sprinting as fast as you can.

I usually despise running on the treadmill but I think the hamster wheel is a great way to complete an interval workout.  It forces you to keep your pace and you won't have a hard time seeing the clock. If you are just starting out with intervals here's the workout I suggest:

5 min. warm up
1 min. spint
1 min. fast walk
2 min. jog
repeat 7 times
5 min. cool down

Add in intervals once a week and you will love how fast and strong you feel.

Now go lace up those shoes and get ready to sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment